Search This Blog

Thursday 8 July 2010

Ticket to Bristol

I had been waiting for Jamie Cooper to get back from holiday since his father said he should be willing to speak to me on his return from Cyprus. Being a student on a shoe string budget at the time I decided to book my ticket early not knowing that it was going to fall through and I would end up going to Bristol and walking along the humid fish stenchy stretch of the river, find the maritime museum closed for renovation, looking at art and ending up in complete and utter disbelief at how 'Banksy's work and a lot of the modern art at the Bristol Museum could even be remotely regarded as art.

When Jamie Cooper returned it turned out that he had decided to forget the past and hence chose to decline the interview. It would be inaccurate to say I understood the trauma but I did understand the reasons for not wanting to be interviewed because I'm sure that the trauma of soldiers to Iraq, particularly those who suffered life changing injuries was far beyond my comprehension. So, persistent as I can be I'm a journalist with a very strong set of ethics and moral codes and I knew that I would have to let this go without further requests.

But, I couldn't get a refund on my ticket so I decided to make a trip anyway and I figured as someone trying to make it as a journalist in this country, the more I see of it the better. Had I not gone there I may not have realised just how much I love London. Bristol is what I would call a 'sea-side-ish city' with a certain sleepiness to it. It's the sort of city that at least for me conjured up images of the visuals I created in my mind while reciting the 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner '(originally The Rime of the Ancyent Marinere) by Samuel Taylor Coleridge, during my school days which was actually the longest major poem by the English poet.

Bristol was an interesting trip no doubt but in spite of the unbearable roasting temperatures in the underground on a summers day and the sardine syndrome at rush hour I wouldn't live anywhere else....Yes, I'm smitten and still chasing 'My London Dream'.

No comments:

Post a Comment