Search This Blog

Thursday 8 July 2010

The journalistic benefits of social media

Social networking is cool but it's also become a way of life I think for a journalist, a media professional or anyone else really who wants more than just a social life because every industry today depends on networking for business success. I realized just how useful it can be when you're looking for people to interview because of who they and how their views could make your story stand up.

If I knew the names of former service personnel in Sheffield I could have looked them up In the yellow pages like I've done with others and so have many Sheffield trainee journalist, but when I needed to find a way of contacting from Bristol, I resorted to searching for him on facebook..and I did find him as well as the ex- serviceman from Hull.

I sent out several messages looking for specific people and ended up getting replies on facebook saying they weren't that person and maybe it wasn't the best way to go about my people search but journalism is about making do with your resources the best you can and that what I was doing with social networks.

When I wanted to get an interview with Phil Packer I tried tweeting at him and emailing and I did get a reply, but he didn't want to comment on Iraq though. He served in Iraq but today he he focuses all his efforts and thoughts on 'Help for Heroes', an organisation that supports injured former servicemen and women. He is one of them and his sports and physical achievements are a real inspiration to all of us.

For more on Phil Packer, visit : http://www.philpacker.com/
To make donations you can visit :http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/




No comments:

Post a Comment